Project Title: i-RESTORE 2.0 – Accessible Quality Restorative Justice processes for children in contact with the law in Europe
Period of the consultancy: 09 January – 28 February 2023
Duration of the consultancy: 10 working days
Terre des hommes Romania Foundation is seeking a qualified consultant to conduct a Needs Assessment Visit to Romania on Restorative Justice with Children in Contact with the Law.
The general objective of the consultancy is to provide an overview of the needs, gaps and strengths in the implementation of restorative justice practices in cases involving child victims and child suspected or accused of a crime, and of child participation methodologies in Romania, within the #iRESTORE2 project.
i-RESTORE 2.0 is intended to build the capacities of national practitioners to address issues related to the rights of child victims and children suspected and/or accused of crime when involved in restorative justice processes, increase knowledge and exchange of learning among EU justice actors about access of child victims and children suspected and/or accused to high quality restorative justice processes, empower child victims and children suspected and/or accused of crime to play a meaningful role when involved in restorative justice processes, raise awareness among multidisciplinary actors and the community about accessibility and its obstacles, to high quality restorative justice processes for child victims and children suspected and/or accused of crime.
The consultant is expected to:
- Conduct a desk review of relevant documents about restorative justice with children in Romania (including, but not limited to, some documents to consider in advance
- Conduct a 3-days visit in Romania and meet with different stakeholders (minimum 5) and collect data, based on the questionnaire in annex 1.
- Draft a needs assessment report in English based on the desk review and on the meetings carried out with stakeholders in Romania.
- Coordinate with the Estonian expert’s conclusions (during an online meeting); the Estonian expert will also conduct an assessment visit in Estonia on the same subject; the final needs assessment report will combine results in both countries; the leading partner combining such results will be SIB in Estonia
- Integrate feedback in the Romanian part of the assessment report received from the i-RESTORE 2.0 Technical Advisory Board, as well from the i-RESTORE 2.0 Consortium, and provide final draft
- Provide recommendations for the roadmap for twinning arrangements that include methodologies/tools to be used for review of practices; 50 pages roadmap report; drafting the 50 pages roadmap report will be led by SIB in Estonia and one or two online meetings with them will take place to help finalise the roadmap.
- Advanced degree in the field of law or criminology, or equivalent with strong research and analysis component
- Proven experience in conducting national and international-level needs assessments and reviews to feed into strategic and operational planning, particularly in the field of juvenile justice, restorative justice and children’s rights
- Excellent writing and communication skills in Romanian and English
- Demonstrated ability to synthesise and critically analyse a wide range of material from primary and secondary data sources and to present information in a concise yet thorough form
- Knowledge of juvenile justice projects and networks in the home country and in the Europe region constitute an asset
How to apply
All candidates should send the following documents to email@example.com by 20 December 2022:
- a cover letter, specifying your daily rate
- updated CV/Resume in English
- a sample of similar work
Deadline for application: 20 December 2022